Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Camp Grenada!

Its an easy pun, but yeah, Im here in Grenada. Its rainy, so I havent gotten out to see much yet.
Barcelona was way too hard to leave. But I had already been there a week or something, so I thought I should ramble on.
The squat was great. It ended up being a Polish couple upstairs, two guys from Estonia (Dima and Disa), Sasha the Canadian, and two guys from the Czech Republic. I never memorized their names, as they were a little difficult to pronounce, but they were awesome. One couldnt speak English, so his gestures ranged from asking for money to needing the corkscrew.
It was an intense experience to say the least. What little money there was went to tobacco and wine, for the most part. Other than that you could sneak onto the Metro and find tons of food in the garbage. It sounds gross, but it isnt! I couldnt get over the fact that by just living off what people throw out I ate better than I had in a few weeks, and there was enough for about 8 people.
They knew what dumpsters were for which stores and when they took them out. There wasnt much other people looking in them usually, but if there were you would just share what you found. Tons of tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, bread, salt, bags and bags of chick peas and kidney beans. There was never anything rotten about them, they just werent par for the stores food quality. We even had a big shrimp dinner on my last night there, followed by a ton of Maltesers that we found.
Ive never been one for the "I hate cops" mentality, and Ill never think of Anarchy as a plausible idea. But the idea of a strong community of open and generous people just looking out for eachother was great. Though some come off as intimidating, and may actually be some of the toughest guys Ive met, they were also some of the sweetest and most generous guys Ill ever meet.
In a nutshell, a very interesting awesome time. I couldve stayed a lot longer in Barcelona, but I have to keep going. So, Grenada? Whats here? I dont know. Ill wait till it stops raining. Portugal soon too! I cant believe how quickly my time here is flying by. You all must be excited to have me back in your miserable lives soon. Anyhow, adios amigos! (Id share what Russian words Ive picked up, but I dont think they fit in any context thats appropriate to share with you.)

No comments: