Monday, April 6, 2009

Edinburgh

This room is boiling! I'm in Edinburgh, at the castlerock hostel, and I'm sitting by the fireplace. So thats why its boiling. But it's a pretty swank hostel, so I cant complain.
I got the interview for the walking tour and am being trained currently! It'll be a bit as I have a gigantic amount of info to memorize, and my mom can testify to how much I studied during school. But daddy needs to get paid, son. The man training me is a character to say the least. I've never really seen him not wearing a kilt, aside from when he showed up donning a completely accurate replica of viking armour. Equipped with a chain mail vest that took him two years to build and weighs about 60 kilo. I couldn't really lift it with my two arms, but he can wear it to sword fights... so, whatever.
Allen, the made previously mentioned, gave me a time and location of where to meet him the next day. I had only just met him, but was incredibly interested in what he could possibly be getting me into. Long story short, I end up meeting im in the afternoon outside some pub. He says 'follow me' and leads me into a room. Two guys are at the top of the stairs waiting, one in a suit nods hello, and we follow them into another room. Much to my ammusement it is filled with rather husky men sporting some of the finest handlebar moustaches I've ever seen. It turned out to be a private annual meeting of the Handlebar Moustache Club. Men from Scotland, England, The States, Germany, all over the place. I didn't know what to say. As a boy who can't grow a moustache I can only say I was honoured. Then the day continued on as any other as we all had a pint and talked about nothing.
I even met Megan O'Handley today, and yesterday for dinner! It was a bit surreal to see somebody from home, but it was also awesome because it wasn't a peanut butter and jam sandwhich for the first time in a while. If any O'Handley's are reading this, thanks for dinner, it was delightful. Typically Canadian, we tried to quote as many different herritage moments as possible. How many can you do? Also, can anybody send me the dvd of all them? With some proper peanut butter and maybe some KD.