Sunday, January 4, 2009

Edinburgh, Scotland

I'm in Scotland! That's very cool in my opinion. I got here last night after a 9 hour bus ride from England. I got out of the bus station and had that kinda Bambi-eyed look I get when I dont know where the hell I'm going.
Some old man in a suit asked me if I needed a hostel, and I told him the one I was aiming for. He convinced me that "his was better" and it came with a free ride there. I thought, this guy's gotta be legit', so before he could even offer me candy I jumped on in!
Long story short, it's like staying at somebody's weird grandpa's house for the night. Actually, two. His asian wife (his words, not mine) and he are very clever in getting you to stay an extra night. If the second night there is anything like the first, it'll consist of him and I drinking scotch while he repeats things the TV (at full volume) has just said, as if we both hadn't just heard it.

"The Pictish clan made a treaty with the Vikings..."
Mutes the TV.
"Did you know, the Pictish clan made a treaty with the Vikings?"
"Oh... nope, that's interesti-"
Volume full blast again.

The Castle is gorgeous though. I took pictures, but I don't think they'll do the slightest justice to what it feels like to stare up at it.
Tomorrow I think I shall go even further north, past Inverness, to a town called Ullapool. Kaitlyn's old pal Netta is there working at a pub, and she says its only a town of 2000. I'm excited to be out of the city and into the country. It should be gorgeous.
Also, I still can't find a camera chord, so there'll be a ton of pictures one day, spanning from Christmas at home to Edinburgh castle.
Also also. If Greg Christmas is reading this ever... Hey Greg, I'm in Scotland. Where are you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's cool, man. scotland sounds cooler than i thought it'd be. keep on keepin' on, you hero.