Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sichez! Cervesoz! I cant speak Spanish.

So, yet again, I meet a ton of British people. Canadians seem to do well with Brits and Australians. Im not sure about Brits and Aussies though, considering they areee their prisoners.
I digress though. Its around the end of Carnival week here, which involves all sorts of parades and setting things on fire, all of which Ive missed. Until last night, swarms of people dressed up in absolutely insane, and well done, costumes kept passing us outside and disappearing into the Metro. After some broken English and awkward Spanish greetings we deduced that the biggest party of Carnival was actually tonight, in a place (pronounced) Sea-chez.
Ironically, we looked like morons in normal clothing, so most of us ended up pulling our best "backwards man" costume, and heading onto the Metro as well. It was hysteria, but we eventually got a ticket to the train. There were nuns and cavemen and half naked everything running around singing. When the train showed up it escelated even more. People were jumping over eachother trying to get on this train, because it was a 40 minute trip to the beach. 40 minutes is bad enough, but its even worse when your packed like sardines in a train full of drunk sweaty people. But somehow it was a total blast.
Sweat was dripping from the ceiling and the windows were completely fogged. At every stop, people were shoving as many people as they could on until we literally couldnt fit any more. THen there were random outbursts of Spanish people singing and yelling and spilling beer on me.
When we finally got off the train somehow I ended up with my face painted and a feather in my hair. Like I said, it was very strange. The Carnival itself was like in Pinnochio, where they send the boys, and they all start turning into donkeys. Except we looked a lot more stupid by the end of it. This town was basically overthrown for one night. There wasnt one street that wasnt having its own little party. It was just a sea of people. I´ve never seen that many in one place before. You had to be on your toes though. I watched Pocahontas rip off his wig and get face to face with some dude that touched his woman.
The entire night we couldnt stop smiling, it was just the coolest most liveliest vibe. Something I think only the Spanish could bring out in you. Just complete energy. That and you could pee anywhere you like! Again, a boys dream land.
Okay, and Im not just leading a life of debauchery. I just figured nobody wants to hear about me doing laundry, calling student loan, or visiting museums and churches. And I bet you dont want to hear about me relaxing on the beach. Its cold though. It got so breezy I had to put on my jacket at one point. I looked like a total tourist on the beach, I was just wowed by the palm trees. Can you blame me? Theyre like, the coolest tree ever! Well, Ive always been a hemlock man myself, and the spruce holds its own, but the Palm is a whole nother level of tree.
Adios! (See how cultured Im getting?)

No comments: